Lamyatt village and surrounding outlying farms and houses are part of Lamyat Parish. The Parish is too small to have a Parish Council but since 1894 it has held a Parish Meeting at which local issues have been debated and discussed. (Note that whilst the village name has two ‘t’s the wider parish name has only one)
There has always been at least an Annual Meeting, and on occasions additional Meetings are held to discuss specific major issues. The Meeting through its Chair, and assisted by others, has been able to: bring a piped water supply to the village (1930’s); oversee the supply of electricity to the village (1940’s); press for the building of local authority housing in the village (1950’s); help resolve flooding and drainage problems on the High Street (1990’s-2000’s); raise a precept to help fund the village hall extension (2010’s). Of course some issues, such as planning developments both within the Parish and adjacent Parishes; highway and transport problems; and rights of way matters; have cropped up on a regular basis.
The Lamyat Parish history as told through the Parish Meeting minute book gives us an insight into how issues have been dealt with, and may make us realise that some have been around in some shape or form for over 100 years!
Copies of most of the previous Parish Meetings are held in archives.
Further extracts from the minute book will be added at a later date. If anyone wishes to see the original minute book and maps held by the parish please contact Paul.